[vorbis] Joining .WAV files with ogg-vorbis

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Thu Oct 16 20:53:52 PDT 2003

On Thursday 16 October 2003 10:30 pm, fsceg1 wrote:

> I can see one immediate problem with this: Vorbis is a lossy format, where
> as WAV is a lossless format. This means that the resultant WAV is of a
> lower quality than either input. I don't know if FLAC works like this, but
> if it does, then since FLAC is lossless, it should work much better.
> Indeed, FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec. That means that you can
> transcode FLAC > WAV all you want without any loss of data.

If FLAC doesn't, I'd assume OggFLAC does.  Right?

But while FLAC is lossless, it's still a waste of CPU.  For the OP:  If I only
had Sox, I'd do this:

ox a.wav a.cdr
sox b.wav b.cdr
cat a.cdr b.cdr | sox -t cdr - ab.wav

This assumes you're working with CD format (44.1 kHz 2 channels 16 bit) data.
CDR is just this data in raw form.  Otherwise, use .raw, but you'll need to
give options to sox to specify the format.  It would be possible to do this
with no temp space using named pipes.

--
Tom Felker, <tcfelker at mtco.com>
<http://vlevel.sourceforge.net> - Stop fiddling with the volume knob.