[vorbis] iTunes for Windows - Ogg Vorbis support

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 20 18:16:18 PDT 2003

Jack Moffitt wrote:
> THe project is doomed to failure.  They can't support the full spec with
> the current Quicktime API, and Apple has been notified of this many
> times.  Maybe it will be fixed in Panther, maybe not.  We'll see.

I have been talking with some Apple guys about this some time ago.  We are
in good shape, especially if we forget about MacOS 9 and before.

> Also, that project works from QuickTime.  Many of the codec functions in
> iTunes are not supported by QuickTime plugins.  Streaming, encoding are
> just two of hte most important ones.  So we still lose, even if the
> Quicktime plugin did work well.

Think positive for a minute, please.  There is nothing about the iTunes
API we can't easily provide, even if it is not documented at all.

If we want a road in to the Apple stuff, it is obvious what one thing
we'll have to provide: a playback plugin for the iPod.  And that is not
_actually_ a hard thing to do; it just needs some cooperation between
Apple and Xiph.  So if you (or whoever) can get that going..,