[vorbis] iTunes for Windows - Ogg Vorbis support

Andrew Greenburg agreenbu at nyx.net
Fri Oct 17 10:06:18 PDT 2003

volsung at mailsnare.net <volsung at mailsnare.net> wrote:
: Quoting Jack Moffitt <jack at xiph.org>:
:
: > THe project is doomed to failure.  They can't support the full spec with
: > the current Quicktime API, and Apple has been notified of this many
: > times.  Maybe it will be fixed in Panther, maybe not.  We'll see.
: >
: > Also, that project works from QuickTime.  Many of the codec functions in
: > iTunes are not supported by QuickTime plugins.  Streaming, encoding are
: > just two of hte most important ones.  So we still lose, even if the
: > Quicktime plugin did work well.
:
: Coincident with the iTunes 4.1 release was the release of Quicktime 6.4.  I have
: yet to locate a developer-oriented explanation of what changes were made.  Does
: anyone know what changed?  I'd be curious if it would make Quicktime support
: more feasible, even if that doesn't fix the iTunes issues.

Really, if I could play Ogg Vorbis files in iTunes without prebuffering
the entire file, I'd be happy. I don't use iTunes for streaming anyway.

I wonder if the QT component still works in 6.4. Anyone confirm?

--
 agreenbu @ nyx . net                             andrew michael greenburg