[vorbis] iTunes for Windows - Ogg Vorbis support

volsung at mailsnare.net volsung at mailsnare.net
Fri Oct 17 08:51:47 PDT 2003

Quoting Jack Moffitt <jack at xiph.org>:

> THe project is doomed to failure.  They can't support the full spec with
> the current Quicktime API, and Apple has been notified of this many
> times.  Maybe it will be fixed in Panther, maybe not.  We'll see.
>
> Also, that project works from QuickTime.  Many of the codec functions in
> iTunes are not supported by QuickTime plugins.  Streaming, encoding are
> just two of hte most important ones.  So we still lose, even if the
> Quicktime plugin did work well.

Coincident with the iTunes 4.1 release was the release of Quicktime 6.4.  I have
yet to locate a developer-oriented explanation of what changes were made.  Does
anyone know what changed?  I'd be curious if it would make Quicktime support
more feasible, even if that doesn't fix the iTunes issues.

---
Stan Seibert