[vorbis] Ogg support in Windows Media Player 9 and WMP Media Library

Jason C. Patterson patters at conduits.com
Tue Oct 7 13:34:19 PDT 2003

Greetings all,

I've got some questions and news (I think) regarding the Ogg
DirectShow filter, and Ogg support in Windows Media Player
and the WMP Media Library.

The OggDS that's in CVS -- is there any reason it's only
at the 0.9.9.3 level and not the 0.9.9.5 level that's on
Tobias's webpage?

After downloading the 0.995 version and digging through the
Windows Media registry, I think I've found a combination of
settings that enables Ogg playback support as well as Media
Library import support for .ogg files (haven't tested this
with OGM files).

With these registry patches, you simply can click Tools > Search
for Media Files in WMP9 and it'll import all the .ogg's into
your All Music folder.  It doesn't read metadata just yet -- I think
that's a feature not implemented in the OggDS project.  But it's
certainly a start.

This also enables playback and indexing of Ogg files from
applications that use the WMP Media Library -- most notably,
the Windows XP Media Center.

What's the list policy on file attachments?  The .REG file
is about 3K.

Conduits Technologies, Inc.
http://www.conduits.com