[vorbis] vorbiscomment and multi line comments

Kyle Rose krose at krose.org
Thu Oct 2 06:20:02 PDT 2003

> Fair enough. I'll indent multi-line comments in my text serializing
> scheme with '~', seeing as ascii 0x7E appears to be outside the
> range allowed for field names.

Kludge alert! Kludge alert!

Why not introduce a change to the comment scheme that allows for
encoding of arbitrary characters through an escape character?  E.g.,
"\xYY" where "YY" is the UTF-8 code in hex and maybe "\xxYYYY" for
UTF-16.

Yeah, it would technically break backwards compatibility, but there's
no use crying over spilt milk: any commenting scheme that cannot
encode arbitrary characters for values demonstrates an unacceptable
lack of planning and should be fixed while it's still possible to do
so.  Furthermore, I'd suspect very few comments so far contain
"\xYY".  Finally, you're already breaking backwards compatibility with
this tilde proposal, so why break it in a *useful* way?

Please, do it the right way.  Don't add some nasty kludge that will
wind up being woefully inadequate going forward.  Take it from a
professional software architect: do it the right way the first time,
and there will be much less pain going forward.

Cheers,
Kyle