[vorbis] KPFA live vorbis stream

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Nov 6 05:02:10 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 05:17:57AM -0500, David Bachner wrote:

> Their vorbis stream has been available for about a month now. It's 32
> kbps/14 kHz stereo - perhaps not the best choice for optimal audio fidelity,
> but person responsible for establishing the vorbis stream wanted it to be
> accessable to dial-up modem users. Many of KPFA's listeners are political
> activists or people with generally low to moderate incomes.

Great news. I'm glad to hear they're officially streaming Vorbis now. I
guess the earlier vorbis broadcasts were experimental or unoffcial
projects?

> Anyway, I hope this is of interest to this list. I sort of started the ball
> rolling by telling a KPFA host who I regularly listen to about vorbis, and
> urging him to talk to their techs about considering ogg vorbis as a format
> for streaming KPFA in stereo. I think Vorbis and KPFA are an excellent match
> because of the ideas that both projects are founded on.

I was happy to hear about it. We'll need a new list if we start to drown
in new station announcements, but I don't see how that can be a bad
thing. :)

Thanks so much for getting this going. Even three years on, I remain
shocked by the loyalty of public radio stations to realaudio (at least
you're using mp3!) much less public-freedom oriented organizations like
KPFA. The next step would be to take an active role in promoting vorbis
by recommending it as your primary stream and archive format. KPFA is in
a remarkable position to do just that, and it seems to me they really
should if they take their mandate seriously.

> KPFA's home page: http://www.kpfa.org/
> KPFA's Vorbis stream: http://aud-one.kpfa.org:8090/kpfa.ogg

BTW, why no 'click to play' link for the ogg stream?