[vorbis] KPFA live vorbis stream

David Bachner bachner at ica.net
Thu Nov 6 02:17:57 PST 2003

I just joined this list, so I'm not sure how many of you are already aware
of this. KPFA is a 59,000 watt free speech community radio station in
Berkeley, California that has been on the air since 1949. They were the
first listener sponsored radio station in North America, paving the way for
many other community stations across the U.S. and around the world. KPFA was
one of first signals to appear on the FM dial in the San Francisco Bay area,
and is the flagship station of the Pacifica network.

Their vorbis stream has been available for about a month now. It's 32
kbps/14 kHz stereo - perhaps not the best choice for optimal audio fidelity,
but person responsible for establishing the vorbis stream wanted it to be
accessable to dial-up modem users. Many of KPFA's listeners are political
activists or people with generally low to moderate incomes.

Anyway, I hope this is of interest to this list. I sort of started the ball
rolling by telling a KPFA host who I regularly listen to about vorbis, and
urging him to talk to their techs about considering ogg vorbis as a format
for streaming KPFA in stereo. I think Vorbis and KPFA are an excellent match
because of the ideas that both projects are founded on. Here are the links:

KPFA's home page: http://www.kpfa.org/
KPFA's Vorbis stream: http://aud-one.kpfa.org:8090/kpfa.ogg

db