[vorbis] Updated OggDrop ?

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 27 10:30:04 PST 2003

John;

I didn't know you were the author of Oggdrop or involved with the rarewares
page.  Hi;

> libraries were used in the compiles.

Thanks;  That does make it clearer.

One other change that I might suggest would be to put a comment in the Garf
section that it is only suitable for quality above 5.  Just as a reminder to
people, and as a notice to new people who might not be entirely familiar
with the differences between the regular version and the Garf version.

> However, as the author of oggdropXPd, may I say that the version number of
> oggdropXPd is independent of the version of the libraries it is compiled
> against. It would be misleading to bump the version number of the 1.0.1
> compile compared to the GT3b1 compile as the features within oggdropXPd
are

I don't think so.

I mean, you've got two very different versions there.  One based on the
regular Vorbis code and the other on the tuned Garf code.

Now your own oggdrop code is the same.  It's just the included vorbis code
that is different.  BUT they do encode quite differently.  So from the
outside it does appear to be two very different versions even though your
drop code is the same.

Still, the changes that were made to the web page do make that difference a
lot clearer.

You know....  Have you thought about the possibility of letting OggDrop just
use a DLL in the directory?  That way OggDrop doesn't need to be updated at
all.  People just include which ever version (regular or garf) they want.
And if none is found then perhaps use the defualt version compiled in?  Just
a thought, although I guess it would be more useful if Vorbis was updated a
little more often than it currently is.

It's a shame OggDrop can't include both and automatically use Garf when
appropriate.  (At least until 2007 when Vorbis 1.1 is finally released that
combines both of them.  Although according to HydrogenAudio Garf is likely
to come out with a new version in the not too distant future that is built
upon 1.0.1.)