[vorbis] [faq?] Portable players supporting ogg vorbis

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Mon Nov 17 08:12:43 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 10:35, Tuomo Latto wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > The Neuros (with a "beta" firmware download) can play Vorbis files;
> > however,
> > * It sometimes "chirps" (not enough CPU) when decoding high-bitrate
> > sections.  This is exceedingly rare at -q 4, but somewhat common
> > at -q 6.  (I'm using the FM transmitter, which may require additional
> > CPU; results through headphones may be better.)
>
> I would be interested in hearing more comments on playing -q 6 files
> with and without headphones since I am planning on buying the player.
> (Practically all my files are -q 6.)
> Is the performance going to improve in the future?

The comment was about an outdated firmware. The newest pre-beta of
firmware version 1.44 has no problems with a -q 10 I just threw at it
(average bitrate 422 knps), and I suspect the same would be true for
1.40A/1.41, which already contained all of Monty's optimizations.
However, that was with headphones only, since I don't have a radio handy
to test it with MyFi. Your mileage may vary.

> Going a bit off-topic regarding this mailing list, I'd also like to
> know if it can play 320kbps MP3s without any problems.

Sorry, I don't know what that MP3 thing is you're talking about ;-P

Hope this helps,

Carsten Haese.