[vorbis] [OT] Just had to vent...

Paul E public at ellisfoundation.com
Thu Nov 13 16:54:43 PST 2003

Andrew Greenburg wrote:

>I was doing a search for Mac OS cd audio extraction with error-correction,
>and stumbled upon an awe-inspiring collection of misinformation from last
>year:
>http://www.macslash.org/AskMacSlash/02/09/14/0257246.shtml
>
>My favorite bit is the part about Audio CDs being composed of AIFF files
>that can be easily copied bit-for-bit perfect with no error-correction
>algorithm.

I don't want to bash on Mac users, but the notion that Macs are so far
superior to PCs for working with audio was created by people like the
fellow who said that audio CDs are a bunch of AIFF files and that he
specifically states that audio CDs do have compression.  Ever wonder why
700MB CDs hold 80 minutes of music but a 700MB wav is 69 minutes long?
(44100 samples x 16 bit per sec / 1024 [kbits] / 8 [kilobytes] * 2
[stereo] = 172.26kbytes/sec, 700MB [716.800 kbytes] / 172.26kbytes / 60
[seconds] = 69.35 minutes)

These people (I'm not referring to all Mac users) speak with no
knowledge.  But apparently he knows enough to hurt himself since he does
know about D/A Converts and clock jitter.  I've done music on Mac and on
PC and the PC wins hands down.  Some of the programs I use the most
aren't even made on Mac (or Linux unfortunately).

Paul