[vorbis] [faq?] Portable players supporting ogg vorbis

Greg Wooledge greg at wooledge.org
Tue Nov 11 04:08:55 PST 2003

Daniel Déchelotte (maitre_yodan at fr.club-internet.invalid) wrote:

> The Neuros looks even
> better, but ogg support seems incomplete.

The Neuros (with a "beta" firmware download) can play Vorbis files;
however,

 * It can't play beta4 or older Oggs; it can even lock up when trying
   to do so.  (Positron doesn't detect them, and happily adds them to
   the device, so the burden of cleaning them out is on you.)

 * It sometimes "chirps" (not enough CPU) when decoding high-bitrate
   sections.  This is exceedingly rare at -q 4, but somewhat common
   at -q 6.  (I'm using the FM transmitter, which may require additional
   CPU; results through headphones may be better.)

 * When playing an Ogg that has multiple Vorbis streams (e.g., created
   by cat track1.ogg track2.ogg > final-song.ogg), there's a very
   distinct "stutter" when it switches to the second stream.

Despite these issues, I'm satisfied with mine -- when they went on sale
(I got the combo unit for $230 USD) it was just too good to pass up.  Now,
if only there weren't so damned many radio stations broadcasting on
*every* single available frequency....

greg at wooledge.org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |