[vorbis] KPFA live vorbis stream

David Bachner bachner at ica.net
Fri Nov 7 01:23:24 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ross Levis" <ross at stationplaylist.com>
To: <vorbis at xiph.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 5:02 PM
Subject: Re: [vorbis] KPFA live vorbis stream

> > You should be able to get 22.05khz in a 32kbps stereo stream.  Try
quality
> > -1.  Should at least be able to do 16khz.
>
> I agree.  22khz mono quality -1 produces a maximum of 32kb/s, often less,
> and would sound much better.  See Virgin Radio
> http://ogg.smgradio.com/vr32.ogg.m3u though it's mostly talk back for the
> next 3 hours or so.

Actually, what lead to the establishment of this vorbis stream originally
was a brief discussion on air regarding the lack of a stereo stream. KPFA
already has 16 and 24k mono mp3 streams. The show that sparked the idea of
their using vorbis is live, late night weekly collage mix that really needs
to be heard in stereo to be fully appreciated. It's "Over the Edge" w/ Don
Joyce, Thursday night / Friday morning, Midnight to 3am Pacific Time on
www.kpfa.org, 94.1 in the Bay area, and 88.1 in Fresno.

I live waaaay to far away from Berkeley to be involved at the station. I'm
just a listener. You may want to send your comments to Dan Albers
computing at kpfa.org . I'll also let him know that his vorbis stream is being
discussed here, and invite him to join the list and join in on the
discussion.

I'm happy to hear a stereo stream, happier still that it is vorbis, but I'd
really love it if it were at least 45 or 64 kbps/44 kHz stereo. Dan Albers
(the KPFA streaming guy) told me that he needs a better soundcard to work
with for the increase in fidelity to justify the increase in bandwidth. So a
donated sound card might actually make this happen.

db