[vorbis] Vorbis vs Speex

noprivacy at earthlink.net noprivacy at earthlink.net
Mon May 26 19:10:17 PDT 2003

> WinLAME(LAME frontend) with LAME.DLL(3.9.1) for MP3.  I didn't use
> SpeexDrop because it uses the beta 3 encoder(which may be why it didn't
> fair too well in other tests).  Here are the results(1 being best, 7

That's a possibility, although I thought it came out after speex v1 did.  I
would have assumed it used the final version.

A 5 second file sample is a bit limited for testing, though.  Different
voices, different conditions etc. may cause different results.

I also noticed you got some file size ratios that were significantly
different from what I did.

For my tests, a quality of 1 was slightly larger than the 8kbps mp3, while a
quality of 0 was slightly smaller.

By the time it was at a quality of 3, it was usually about twice the size of
the 8kbps mp3.

Maybe Speex just doesn't think Bill Cosby is funny.

> encoding.  I guess that using the 1.0 encoder over the beta 3 encoder
> makes all the difference.

We are obviously getting significantly different results, and I honestly
don't think my samples being mp3 were the problem.  Not considering the
drastic bit range changes involved.  That'd effect both speex & mp3.

I dunno.  I'm not sure I care enough about Speex to spend much more time
trying to figure it out.