[vorbis] Vorbis vs Speex

Mr.Radar vault-responce at charter.net
Mon May 26 17:21:09 PDT 2003

I did some test of my own(see link below for all files and decoders(for
Winamp)).  For input I used an uncompressed 5 second 8Khz/8bit wave
file(I recorded myself).  For encoders I used the command line
SpeexEnc(libspeex 1.0) for Speex, OggDropXPd(for VBR) and the command
line OggEnc(for CBR) for Vorbis encoding(libvorbis 1.0), and
WinLAME(LAME frontend) with LAME.DLL(3.9.1) for MP3.  I didn't use
SpeexDrop because it uses the beta 3 encoder(which may be why it didn't
fair too well in other tests).  Here are the results(1 being best, 7
being worst):

File Size
1-Speex(quality 0) (2.44k)
2-Speex(quality 1) (4.27k)
3-Speex(quality 2) (4.79k)
4-MP3(CBR 8kbps) (5.13k)
5-Vorbis(CBR 11kbps) (7.15k)
6-Speex(quality 5) (7.51k)
7-Vorbis(VBR quality -1) (8.75k)

Overall Sound Quality
1-Speex(Quality 5)
2-Speex(Quality 2)
3-Speex(Quality 1)
4-MP3(CBR 8kbps)
5-Vorbis(VBR quality -1)
6-Vorbis(CBR 11kbps)
7-Speex(Quality 0)

Lack of Artifacts(Audible)
1-Speex(Quality 5)
2-Speex(Quality 2)
3-Speex(Quality 1)
4-Vorbis(VBR Quality -1)
5-Vorbis(CBR 11kbps)
6-Speex(Quality 0)
7-MP3(CBR 8kbps)

Overall Speex did much better than MP3 and Vorbis at low bitrate speech
compression.  Vorbis had a fair amount of artifacting produced the
largest file sizes and made the voice sound muted.  MP3 had serious
artifacting problems but it had a wider dynamic range which made it
sound better than Vorbis and its file size was middle of the road.
Speex produced the smallest, and best sounding, files with the least
amount of artifacting although use of Quality 0 should be avoided as it
has serious quality and artifacting issues(only MP3 was worse).  Speex
at quality 2 or 1 appears to be the best for low-bitrate speech
encoding.  I guess that using the 1.0 encoder over the beta 3 encoder
makes all the difference.

LINK TO FILES: http://webpages.charter.net/tknott/other/speex_test.zip