[vorbis] Re: Matroska as an alternative to Ogg (container)

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Thu May 8 12:59:27 PDT 2003

Linus Walleij wrote:
> Notice we have made Ogg an IETF Internet proposed standard, out of sheer
> curiosity, will you do this with Matroska too?

We dont have any plans in this respect, no ... our current to-do list is
focussing on supporting more and more codecs, and we dont expect any
commercial interest in matroska, at least right now, so this is no top
priority for us either.

> Even if the Matroska format does not seem to offer any direct advantage to
> the Xiph projects as of now, it is still good, so it might do so in the
> future.
> Linus

I cant see this personally. Dont misunderstand me, we would be pleased
if such questions would come up. But IMHO the Xiph team did an excellent
job in offering a complete and patent free audio ( and soon video )
streaming solution for a new kind of music scene, both commercial and
non-commercial. Its important for Xiph to use their own container for
this, else they would maybe not get accepted as a world-wide standard
for these purposes, and that is to be avoided by all means.

Regards

Christian