[vorbis] Vorbis vs Speex

Alejandro G. Belluscio baldusi at uol.com.ar
Mon May 26 12:55:38 PDT 2003

Hello noprivacy,

Monday, May 26, 2003, 4:28:06 PM, you wrote:
nen> I've tried it, but I really wasn't impressed with Speex.  mp3 & ogg at their
nen> lowest settings worked better.  Hard to believe an 8kbps mp3 sounds 'okay',
nen> but with the few samples I tried, it did, and sounded better than speex
nen> while doing it.
nen> By 'windows version' do you mean a regular installable directshow codec kind
nen> of thing....  I wouldn't bother.  Speex isn't that good.
You seem to forget that Speex is exclusively for voice. So if you tested
on anything _but_ speech it's inferior to any of the above mentined
codecs (I'm not sure about someone singing a capella, but I'd guess it
would be a bit better).
It's not a low bandwidth general purpose codec. So don't try to use it
for an unintended target and then criticize it.

--
Best regards,
 Alejandro G. Belluscio