[vorbis]: cutting ogg vorbis file into parts, again

maxim abalenkov vault13 at inbox.lv
Wed May 14 22:44:49 PDT 2003

hello, everybody!

  i record radio programmes through 'hard disk ogg 220'. as
  someone here has adviced me to do ;] it's brilliant. but after
  recording, i would like to cut off some material, to prepare an
  advertisement free version of the file. i use musicutter 071 to do
  this. but it gives me the following error when i'm trying to cut my
  file:

   'Process time: 0:00:00.391

    File info:
    ---------------------
    File name: D:\vault.13\radio\vibraphone\vibraphone.may.7th.2003.ogg
    Frequency: 44100 Hz

    Fragment 1
    D:\vault.13\radio\vibraphone\cut\cut01.ogg

    ** error **

    BEGIN - vcut.exe ---------------------------------
    WARNING: vcut is still experimental code.
    Check that the output files are correct before deleting sources.

    Processing: Cutting at 573300
    Unhandled special case: first file too short?
    Error writing first output file
    Processing failed
    END - vcut.exe ---------------------------------

    Fragment 2

    Fragment 3'.

    the screen shoot of program options is applied. what do i have to
    do to cut my file in a right way?

    also i was trying to use vcut from the windows 2000 command
    line. vcut splits a file at the given cutpoint, which is a sample
    number, but i don't know what is a 'sample number'. and how to
    define how many samples have, for example, 13 seconds of my file.

    and another question. in the readme file of musicutter there is
    such a phrase: 'Ogg files are joined simply as with "copy /b
    file1.ogg+file2.ogg result.ogg". The result is .ogg file
    containing "chained bitstreams" which is 100% valid, but
    unfortunately vcut.exe can't handle it further. Ogg files are cut
    by vcut.exe, at present there is limitation - vcut.exe can't
    handle "chained ogg bitstreams" - it will show an error when you
    try to cut such a .ogg file.' does this problem still consists?
    and does it mean that it is impossible to operate [cut/join] with
    an ogg vorbis file, which was modified once with vcut? and what
    are these 'chained ogg bitstreams'? and are there anybody who is
    working to correct vcut?

    and may be you could advice me some other, better shell-program
    for vcut?

--
kind regards, maxim abalenkov
mail to: vault13 at inbox.lv