[vorbis] backing up comments

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 04:36:38 PST 2003

> K>Yesterday I found an ID3 thing, which supposedly supports both MP3 and
> K>Ogg Vorbis tags: http://id3-py.sf.net/.

MB> quote from site "This module allows one to read and manipulate so-called
MB> ID3 informational tags on MP3 files through an object-oriented Python
MB> interface"
MB>     only mention of Vorbis is "dictionary style" thing "compatible with
MB> ogg.vorbis module". I presume this is only for Vorbis, and i don't have
the
MB> time to try it out myself.

K>Huh, I don't see the problem.

The problem is that as far as I can tell, it's only for ID3 tags, not Vorbis
comments.

> K>What would be even cooler is if it were possible to do auto
post-tagging.
> K>Using cddb-py (http://cddb-py.sf.net/) it might be quite possible...

MB> how? to quote the site: "This is actually a set of three modules to
access
MB> the CDDB online database of audio CD track titles and information"

K>Well, if you know that a bunch of Ogg files is supposed to be one album,
you
K>have the track times and number of tracks. If the time is preserved
decently
K>enough it'll work, since that's all the info that's used to fetch cddb (or
K>FreeDB) information.

I presume that what you mean is fiddle with the files so instead of looking
for the location of a freedb server, it looks for the backup file ?
If that what you mean, then yes, that could be one way of doing it I
suppose.