[vorbis] Vorbis streams on Windows Media Player

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 00:27:38 PST 2003

> I was under the impression that Tobias's Direct Show filters would allow
> Windows Media player to play Ogg Vorbis streams, but after testing it
> here, apparently it doesn't.  Does anyone know if there is anyway of
> making WMP play vorbis streams?

At one point, I had Media XW and Tobias's Direct Show filters installed on
my win98 machine. Ogg playback worked fine with just Media XW installed, but
streaming would work untill I installed the DS filters (as is supposed to
happen). Didn't really use WMP at all anyway, so it didnt matter. Then I
upgraded to WM9, and it all went to hell. WMP refused to play almost
anything including the reception of streaming ogg files, so I had to resort
to downloading Real One. It also messed around with media playback in
Kazaalite. Thankfully I couldn't give a crap about WMP, but this would be a
problem for almost everyone else.

Try using JOrbis- it works well as a client but has a JRE requirement that
some computers may not have (like my college network), again causing
problems.

>And Winamp? Are they really sincere in getting the next version working
>with ogg as well as Winamp 2.8 does?

Theres a beta of Winamp 2.9 out- haven't tried it out myself, as I've no
need to. but here's the link anyway (found on Afterdawn.com's newsletter)
http://www.nullsoft.com/cookie/ might be worth looking into.