[vorbis] oggenc crashes on WAV input (with q > 4.99)

Michael Smith msmith at labyrinth.net.au
Mon Mar 24 18:24:37 PST 2003

Paul de Weerd <paul at mail.me.maar.nu> said:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a strange problem. I was just encoding a new CD I bought a
> couple of days ago (Muse - Hullabaloo Soundtrack) when I ran into a
> strange bug.
>
> After ripping track 8, CD 1 with cdparanoia under OpenBSD/alpha, I
> wanted to encode it with oggenc (latest version from the
> OpenBSD-current ports tree, (`oggenc -v` says 'OggEnc v1.0 (libvorbis
> 1.0)')).

Paul,

There were a couple of problems in the 1.0 release that caused this sort of
error. x86 by default masks these floating point exceptions, so sometimes they
creep into releases (the developers don't have regular access to machines
where this is a problem - primarily alpha, though there may be some other
platforms where this happens - and testing sometimes doesn't get done as
thoroughly as we'd like).

Anyway, this is fixed in cvs, so please use that (we'll hopefully be doing a
1.0.1 release fairly soon, with this and many other bugs fixed).

Mike