[vorbis] oggenc crashes on WAV input (with q > 4.99)

Paul de Weerd paul at mail.me.maar.nu
Mon Mar 24 18:18:55 PST 2003

Hi all,

I've got a strange problem. I was just encoding a new CD I bought a
couple of days ago (Muse - Hullabaloo Soundtrack) when I ran into a
strange bug.

After ripping track 8, CD 1 with cdparanoia under OpenBSD/alpha, I
wanted to encode it with oggenc (latest version from the
OpenBSD-current ports tree, (`oggenc -v` says 'OggEnc v1.0 (libvorbis
1.0)')).

Here's the output :

$ oggenc -q 8 track08.cdda.wav
Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
Encoding "track08.cdda.wav" to
         "track08.cdda.ogg"
at quality 8.00
Floating point exception (core dumped)

(as you can see, this is before starting the actual encoding)

Now the strange thing is that when I just start encoding the file at
the default quality level, I don't have this problem :

$ oggenc track08.cdda.wav
Opening with wav module: WAV file reader
Encoding "track08.cdda.wav" to
         "track08.cdda.ogg"
at quality 3.00
        [  1.8%] [ 1m56s remaining] |^C

until -q 4.99. Starting with -q 5.00 oggenc dies.

Since it looks like this is in the first few samples of the song, I've
extracted only the first few samples (`cdparanoia 8-8:[.30] samp.wav`)
and got similar results. I have uploaded this file to my website :

http://www.weirdnet.nl/data/output.wav.gz

I'm guessing this is related to the jump to lossless stereo coupling
when going from q 4.99 to q 5.00, but have no way to be sure.

If you're interested in the coredump, please let me know and I'll
put it online too. A full version (at -q 4.99 or the original WAV) can
be made available too if deemed necessary. Please contact me privately
to arrange this.

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/