[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

Benjamin Weste Pearre bwpearre at alumni.princeton.edu
Wed Mar 5 09:53:02 PST 2003

> Do you truly feel there is a need for another format?  Tags currently
> work quite well for me.

I had the impression that the Holy Metadata Format would allow such
things as lyrics/subtitles, etc (as in, show the metadata stream in
sync with the data) or some such.  There is probably only a slight
demand for that at the moment, but it's a case where tags fall short.

> What are the limitations of the tag system that make it inappropriate
> as a metadata format?

The limitations: tags are too embroiled in parsing debates.

> This thread started as a GEUSTARTIST suggestion, which is not an
> issue of parsability, nor is it oustide the bounds of the standard.

Good point - and from a rather vocal parsophobe.  Curiouser and
curiouser!

:)

--
Ben Pearre                               http://hebb.mit.edu/~ben