[vorbis] backing up comments

Martin Blackwell djdij at handbags.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Mar 1 16:16:56 PST 2003

I use CDex
unless i've missed something, it only saves the freedb/cddb information, not
the comment information.
I'm not encoding from waves as that takes even more time, and wastes space &
resources.
The only vorbis related batch program i use is Vorbisgain, and that takes
ages to do, and I imagine it would be a lot quicker to just batch write
vorbis comments for the replaygain tags to the files than re-batching them.
Although for more accurate results, re-batching with Vorbisgain would be
more suitable.

In a perfect world, I would want a CD Ripper programme that:

1) allows me to enter the Vorbis comments before the CD is ripped, and give
me the option to restore from backups.
2) The CD Ripper would also apply the replaygain automatically after the
album has been encoded (not before, then applying the tags later, Vorbis
apparently has some high-frequency boosts, so results may be different).
3) It would also not crash when using any "Paranoia" mode such as CDex does
when reading from CDs with so-called "enhanced" sections, and it gets to the
last track. Even Copahs' CD-Reader for wa2 has probs with this (skipping the
last track under 'paranoia, full', then going back to standard for the last
track is a work-around, but obviously lowers the ripping quality) .

I desperately need such a tool- if one exists that fits all three of my
needs.