[vorbis] Virgin Radio launches an Ogg stream

Mark Hills mark.hills at urn1350.net
Tue Jun 17 12:42:31 PDT 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, James Cridland wrote:

> Indeed. We were the first radio station in Europe to broadcast online, so we
> think we can be first again with Ogg.

This is going to be fantasic for the acceptance of Vorbis. Shame the BBC
don't have the time to continue their streams.

As for being the first with Ogg, couldn't resist getting a plug in...

Check out http://urn1350.net/ where we've been broadcasting live in Ogg
Vorbis for just over a year along side our normal AM radio. We're a
student station in the UK, and a number of other student stations have Ogg
streams too.

We also use Vorbis for lots of our internal systems within the radio
station.

> >Then I clicked Ogg b/band and I must say, it works. And thus I've listening to
> >commercials the last 3 minutes... :(
>
> They pay our wages, but you caught us at a bad time. I've not heard any for
> twenty minutes as I type.

It's URN's summer break, so that means adverts only once an hour. Quite
listenable.

Good stuff Virgin. Lets hope this helps set a trend towards Vorbis.

Mark

--
Mark Hills
mark.hills at urn1350.net