[vorbis] Compression Artifacts at -q 5. Help!

Lawrence Wade vorbis at glowingplate.com
Sun Jun 15 14:56:59 PDT 2003

At 05:25 PM 6/15/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Do you have an SB16 that you've retrofitted a bunch of the discrete amp
>components, or are there two free software audio users who've done sound
>with Garth Brooks?

    I've seen a couple of guys - pro audio guys, in fact - do the same
thing. Mostly we try to stick with the old ISA-based SoundBlasters, since
it's easier to change DIP-based ICs and discrete components. The earliest
SB-16s (nearly full-length cards with IRQ jumpers and excellent quality D/A
converters) used LM741 in 8-pin DIP; clip 'em out, desolder the pins,
solder in a good quality socket and put in an LF351 (I think that's the
number) for an instant upgrade.

    However, I'm the guy who has hacked a 12AX7-based preamp into my
SoundBlaster. (Someday, I'll put a page up on my site explaining how to do
it.)

    Rationale? I like tubes (mostly sentimental rather than practical,
though they have a couple of quantifiable sound quality advantages).

    Either way, the interior of a computer is still a crappy place to try
to make good sound, so you do what you have to do - best quality
components, lots of shielded boxes for the analog stages, ground plane
under the analog board to cut RF, linear power supply to keep down
switching noise. Leaving it inside the computer is an unfortunate
compromise for practicality.

    Noting that ISA-based SoundBlasters require ISA slots, we're wedded to
old hardware... This hasn't become a problem yet, because most PII and many
PIII-vintage machines still have ISA slots and will run modern software.
But the time is coming when a PII/III will become as hard to install a
useful distro as my 486s currently are. I'm still running a PIII-600
because I want my hacked SoundBlaster 16 to work.

    Moral: Keep the requirements low. You never know what the end user may
be doing with it.

    Lawrence