[vorbis] problem with id3 tags

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Sat Jun 7 11:52:14 PDT 2003

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Benjamin Weste Pearre wrote:

> > This is hardly FAQ material
>
> I would probably consider it FAQ material if it's a known problem that
> occurs "frequently" (ie occasionally; more than almost never) in
> conjunction with Vorbis.  Just because it's in the FAQ doesn't mean
> that Vorbis is claiming responsibility for it -- the fact that lawyers
> exist doesn't mean that we should try to think like them.  Shouldn't
> the FAQ try to be as helpful as possible?

I wholeheartedly agree--that's why the FAQ should have the fewest questions
possible.

Here's the problem with this *particular* problem--think of the multitude of
ways you might find out that one of your oggs has ID3vX crud on or in it.
By and large, most tools that one would use that would complain about ID3
crud  (foobar2000, winvorbis, &c.) are not produced by Xiph and we wouldn't
be able to have an "I got this particular error message, what does it mean?"
entry.

I've created a category on the Xiph.Org wiki with some sample pages; have a
look at http://wiki.xiph.org/Practices and feel free to scrawl on the wall.
I've been debating whether to put up a "QuestionableXPractices" page for
some of these; feel free to create them if disagreements arise.

However, how can we deal with the problem of gratuitously incompatible (GI)
software?

Ideas:
- Don't link to them and don't recommend them.
- Pester the maintainer to remove GI features.
- Expose GI features (as an example, the last I checked, the Circle
(http://thecircle.org.au/) only used ID3-type stuff for Ogg Vorbis files)
and publicize offending open-source apps so someone can be found to fix it

Okay, I've rambled enough. For now.

Nathan