[vorbis] Quality -1 default low-pass

Peter Harris peter.harris at hummingbird.com
Fri Jun 20 10:51:30 PDT 2003

Ross Levis wrote:
> I brought this up 12 months ago or more.  I believe the low-pass filter
> defaults too high with quality -1 in Vorbis 1.0.  Is this going to
> change in the future?  I think it should at least cut off at 15khz not
> 16khz and perhaps even 14khz.

oggenc cuts off frequencies where it needs to in order to get decent
sound. I just ran a quick test here, and on this file (and this other
one), the cut off is at 15kHz or so according to "Spectrogram 5.0.5".

Hmm... and this test file doesn't sound as bad as I expected it to. I'm
impressed.

Peter Harris