[vorbis] Quality -1 default low-pass

Ross Levis ross at stationplaylist.com
Fri Jun 20 02:22:48 PDT 2003

I brought this up 12 months ago or more.  I believe the low-pass filter defaults too high with quality -1 in Vorbis 1.0.  Is this going to change in the future?  I think it should at least cut off at 15khz not 16khz and perhaps even 14khz.  I believe it's important when streaming.  Removing some of the higher frequencies compared to removing more of the audible sound makes more sense to me.  Sampling at 33075 is an option but this produces a cut-off at 13khz which is too low in my opinion, and 32khz samples are not as well supported in players & soundcards.

Ross Levis.