[vorbis] Spectrum duplication (2)

Sune Foldager cryo at diku.dk
Tue Jun 17 05:17:08 PDT 2003

Christian Buchner wrote:

> [...]Also you would have to think about how to code all this auxilliary
> data in a very efficient way.

Well I don't know how they do it for mp3pro, and it's probably not
public information, but whatever they add to the mp3 is not much.

> I've previously played with applying the concept of "motion vectors"
> to audio (both along the temporal axis as well as along the
> frequency axis). I got pretty good results coding the power
> spectrum. But the phase was too random to profit from this coding
> trick (I used an FFT based codec, not a MDCT).

I was thinking the same thing when I tried imagining how they could
have done. They may of course choose to ignore certain things, but I
don't know what ignoring phase would lead to in terms of perceived
quality. It sounds like a pretty bad idea though :-P.

--
Sune.