[vorbis] Spectrum duplication (2)

Headless head-less at dna.ie
Mon Jun 16 17:44:59 PDT 2003

Monday, June 16, 2003, 22:02, you wrote:

> In another thread the following was said:
>> It might help if you also mentioned that the sound quality of Ogg is
>> significantly better than MP3 (assuming that you use regular MP3, not
>> MP3Pro), especially at 32kbps.

> Speaking of which, would there be anything to stop Vorbis, maybe not v1
> but in the future, to use similar techniques as the ones emplyoed by
> mp3pro and the similar thing for aac? I am refering to the spectrum
> duplication..

I'm no expert, but imo the technique used by MP3Pro is a kludge to
maintain backward compatibility with regular MP3.

Ogg doesn't need that sort of nonsense.

> even though it sounds a bit weird to me, that it can work
> well in all circumstances; but mp3pro does sound significantly better
> than regular mp3.

Only at low bitrates, MP3 isn't capable of competing with for example
WMA at low bitrates. MP3Pro was divised to address that, but because
they wanted it to be backward compatible with MP3 they had to
implement it in that kludge type way.

There is nothing to "fix" for MP3Pro at higher bitrates, which is why
proper MP3Pro encoders only allow encoding up to a certain bitrate.