[vorbis] Virgin Radio launches an Ogg stream

Headless head-less at dna.ie
Mon Jun 16 11:45:24 PDT 2003

Monday, June 16, 2003, 15:11, you wrote:

> Any ideas you have to help promote this stream would be very much
> appreciated; we're a strong believer of Ogg here at Virgin Radio, and we'd
> like to push it as much as we can.

>From the page:

> Virgin Radio already broadcasts in Real, Windows and MP3. Why yet
> another format? Virgin Radio want to make our radio station
> available to as many people as possible, to help them trial our
> station and get them listening longer. By adding an Ogg stream, we
> now add more potential listeners to our service.

It might help if you also mentioned that the sound quality of Ogg is
significantly better than MP3 (assuming that you use regular MP3, not
MP3Pro), especially at 32kbps. The quality difference with WMA
(=>V8) is less pronounced, but still noticably better imo. I have no
experience with Real, but it would surprise me if it is able to match
the quality produced by Ogg (V1).

I would also recommend leaving the 32kbps stream mono, this produces a
quite adequate quality in my experience (for Netradio), a 32kbps
stereo stream is likely to sound poor'ish. Stereo with the 96kbps
stream should work fine.