[vorbis] Compression Artifacts at -q 5. Help!

Segher Boessenkool segher at koffie.nl
Tue Jun 10 21:25:59 PDT 2003

Michael Smith wrote:
> You quite likely have problems with either that compiler (old egcs versions
> were pretty buggy, and particularly bad when doing complex floating point code
> like libvorbis), or your libc - some versions (and redhat 6.2 is about the

2.91.66 is the problem version, yes -- it generates borken code
for not _quite_ that complex floating point code, namely, a
compare between a float and an int.

> right age to have these problems) had broken inline asm for maths functions. I
> think we used to check for these in configure, but those checks may no longer
> be around (the problem is long-since fixed, and not commonly encountered on
> modern machines).

There never was a check for this bug -- the check for the ia32 math
lib header bug is still around, iirc.

Maybe we should require at least GCC3 on ia32 systems...