[vorbis] using vcut on split ogg files

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Thu Jul 31 15:58:12 PDT 2003

On Thursday 31 July 2003 11:56 am, Marc Heckmann wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am recording a continuous 24/7 broadcast using ecasound, oggenc and
> cronolog.
>
> because the broadcast is continuous and to not lose any data, I split up
> the recorded stream into a file for every 30 minutes using cronolog
> (http://www.cronolog.org).
>
> so the chain looks like the following:
>
> ecasound | oggenc | cronolog

#!/bin/sh
#Untested!
mkdir raw ogg
while :; do
  sleep 60
  for i in raw/*; do
    oggenc -r -o $i.ogg $i
    mv $i.ogg ../$i.ogg
    rm $i
  done
done &
ecasound | split -a 6 -b $[30*60*44100*2] - ./raw/

The point is that only the raw audio can be safetly split.  Split could be
replaced with cronolog in the last line to keep cronolog's cool naming.  This
also has the advantage that it's OK if the encoding process is occasionally
less than real time.

--
Tom Felker

McBride: "I have here in my hand a list of two hundred and five..."