[vorbis] Why the commotion about file extensions?

programmer_ted ted at fusionapple.com
Tue Jul 15 20:17:30 PDT 2003

> People will name their files whatever they want in the end though.
> any sort of official saction of extensions is just a suggestion at best.

I agree with that.  In my opinion, it's not worth all this
discussing/debating to come up with a file extension that should be the
standard, when in the end, people really don't care anyway.  I mean .avi,
for instance - people use that all the time and it doesn't even sound cool.
I think using a three-letter extension is the easiest way to take care of
the problem, because it doesn't confuse people and it doesn't break
programs.  Now as far as the extensions go specifically, I think .ogg should
still be used for Vorbis/Flac, since people have already associated .ogg
with audio (I mean in their minds, not in their operating system), and the
staff/mailing list users should come up in some way with a three-letter
extension for the other codecs that use Ogg.  Maybe a vote?

Just my 2c