[vorbis] Why the commotion about file extensions?

Ed Sweetman ed.sweetman at wmich.edu
Tue Jul 15 19:47:59 PDT 2003

Paul E wrote:
> Ed Sweetman wrote:
>
>> People will name their files whatever they want in the end though.
>> any sort of official saction of extensions is just a suggestion at best.
>

> Actually people generally use whatever extension programs use and create
> by default. I don't know anyone (althought I'm sure there is someone,
> one being the operative word) that changes all their mp3s to mpegl3 for
> mpeg layer 3 which is more precise.  Developers decide more what the
> extensions are and I think most of them would/will listen to a
> suggestion from the folks that have so wonderfully blessed us with these
> open media standards.
>
> Paul

you cant compare to propriatary filetypes and especially windows
originated filetypes from the days of win9x.  It was necessary to have
extensions be of a single type and it was easy to control that when all
your players and encoders start out as closed source programs.  Yes your
developers decide the extensions here. But in the current decade,
extensions dont mean anything to programs.  They're only there for
people to readily recognise the type of file they're dealing with. A
properly coded program doesn't care if i name a media file
"whatever.thisfilenamesucks", it'll still play it if it contains what it
understands.  So, in getting away from the stupid  dependency of file
extensions, you've removed any real power developers have over the
extension.  All you can do is suggest it be something, hope it catches
on and people use it.  Having extensions be the full name of all the
codecs, .vorbis .speex, .flac  is probably not going to catch on. Too
much typing and it makes the filename which people already make long for
media files, even longer. If someone has a choice between a shorter
extension or a longer one, they're gonna choose the shorter one out of
convenience.  It may be confusing to people who have no idea what
they're doing at all what, in example, a .omi is but i bet it would be
used anyway in preference to .theora, just like the attempt to get
people to use .divx failed horribly (and yes there was one when divx4
was started by the people who made the tools) to the use of .avi

less work always wins over more work. Just ask mp3 users what mp3 even
stands for. Most dont know, why? It doesn't matter, it's just a way to
tell them that they use "This" player to work with "These" files.  The
only people who care what the letters actually mean are people who
aren't so clueless that they'd get confused by shorter extensions that
dont spell out the entire codec.