[vorbis] Ogg Vorbis decoder system IP from FineArch Inc.

Koichiro Miyazaki miyazaki at finearch.com
Tue Jul 15 19:27:24 PDT 2003

> does this mean bit rates above 64 kbps are not supported?

Yes it does. Our IP supports all bit rates above 64 kpbs. There are at least
three reasons why I mentioned 64 kbps.

(1)Targeting the minimum frequency; At the first stage of this project, I
decided to persue the minimum frequency to playback the OggVorbis bit
stream. The minimum frequency is a very important factor to estimate a
battery life of portable players. We confirmed that our FPGA board could
playback 64 kbps OggVorbis bit stream at 12 MHz. We have other data sets
like 128 kbps requires 16 MHz and so on.

(2)MP3 competition; In our country, Japan, there are some portable MP3
players and users already, and most of them use 128 kbps for their daily
use. I think it is a little difficult to drag them into the OggVorbis world
by just saying it is royalty free. Most of end users do not pay attention to
the great features of the OggVorbis; such as open source, patent free, etc..
Then, I focused on it's quality per bit rate. I found a lot of WEB pages
says the quality of the OggVorbis is much better than that of MP3 especially
in a lower bitrate. In fact, I think 64 kpbs is certainly enough for
portable and daily use. Most of MP3 users will have interest in the
OggVorvis's quality and small file size compared with MP3, and may select
the OggVorvis for their music format.

(3)Cellular phone adaptability; Because of the reasons above, I am thinking
a combination of 64 kbps and 12 MHz can create a big market of portable
players. Moreover, I heard that most of cellular phones were running at
around 12 MHz. Thus, if cellular phone manufacturers want to produce
cellular phones with the OggVorbis playback capability, our chip can offer
very easy solution.

Off course, we can offer the other combination like 128 kbps & 16 MHz opon
market request.

--
Koichiro Miyazaki
miyazaki at finearch.com