[vorbis] Why the commotion about file extensions?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Jul 15 02:15:29 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 09:37:43AM +0200, Giuliano Pochini wrote:

| Anyway, this is off-topic here. We just have to choose "standard"
| file extension. Since nobody cares about the container format, I
| suggest to use .vor or .vrb for ogg-vorbis, .the or .thr for ogg-theora, ...

As someone else pointed out, the only categories of Ogg files that we
really need to care about distinguishing are

        (a) sound files, e.g. Vorbis, Flac, Speex which open with
        something like Winamp or XMMS;

        (b) video files, e.g. Theora+Vorbis or DivX+Vorbis or some such,
        which open with something like Mplayer or Xine or whatever it is
        that Windows people use to watch movies.

Since .ogg is already widespread for Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Flac, perhaps
.oggvid would make sense for Ogg movies?

Cameron.