[vorbis] vorbiscomment causes "Illegal UTF-8 sequence in comment"

Beni Cherniavsky cben at techunix.technion.ac.il
Tue Jul 8 01:17:49 PDT 2003

Nathan I. Sharfi wrote on 2003-07-07:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Beni Cherniavsky wrote:
>
> > Probably not: vorbiscomment simlpy depends on the OS to provide locale
> > support.  Here is a reliable test: use --raw to dump the UTF-8
> > comments to a text file and open them with Notepad.  I think you need
> > win 2000 or later for Notepad to read UTF-8; you can also try opening
> > the tet file with IE (select UTF-8 encoding in the menus if needed).
>
> Possible snag: Notepad (and TextEdit.app, incidentally) add in a BOM so the
> first three bytes of the file will be EF BB BF (IIRC). You might need to
> snip them out with an extraordinarily dumb text editor such as edit (run
> from the command prompt).

Yes, I meant using Notepad as a viewer, not a writer. That said, if we
are going to add messy Win32 handling, we should ingore a BOM at the
beginning of RAW input (it can't be a legal part of comments anyway).

If I don't hack on it, who will?  And if I don't GPL it, what am I?
And if it itches, why not now?  [With apologies to Hilel ;]