[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

Paul E public at ellisfoundation.com
Fri Jul 4 01:29:06 PDT 2003

>| even if it's wmv, divx, xvid, or whatever
>
>Aren't wmv, divx, xvid and a bunch of other formats all technically AVIs
>anyway?

No wmv is a actually a container that usually contains a windows media
audio/video stream. Divx, and Xvid are codecs that can go into .avi,
.ogm/.ogg, matroska (dunno the extension), or any other container.  Do
you see what I mean about it being good to have a simple standard?

>| Sorry about the rant.  I just really think this is a crucial point for ogg.
>
>I'd rather see systems which identify files by their content rather than
>the last few characters of their names, but since this isn't going to
>happen any time soon, some way of differentiating between different
>formats wrapped in ogg sounds sensible enough.

I'd like to be able to tell what kind of file it was just by browsing
through a folder.

I don't want to start a war about this topic.  I just think it's
important from a UI stand point for more people to adopt ogg.  I'd love
it if I could download ogg files instead of mp3's from WinMX or Kazaa
instead of having to rip and encode all my own files.  That will only
happen if .ogg becomes really common, such as mp3.

Paul