[vorbis] Segher vetoing the Ogg Tag Recommendations

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Fri Jul 4 01:04:57 PDT 2003

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 05:43:46PM +1000, Michael Smith wrote:
>On Friday 04 July 2003 17:34, Jonathan Walther wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 06:02:27AM +0200, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
>> >I don't veto anything here.  I don't have a vote, even.
>>
>> Word straight from Monty's mouth was that you did veto it.  Or maybe
>> Monty referred me to Emmett, and Emmett said you vetoed it.  Fact is,
>> all the objections the Vorbis core team had to the Recommendations had
>> been fixed and taken care of.  Except for you.  You don't want this.
>> You don't want people to use tags at all.  You want us to use
>> MusicBrainz, which is supported by Ogg in ways that are not apparent to
>> me at this time.
>
>This is not true. What Segher said was accurate. None of us ever thought your
>proposal was a good idea, and it never got to a point where it was being
>considered seriously enough that it COULD have been vetoed.

Nota bene.  I said the objections had been fixed and taken care of.  I
didn't say that you were all thrilled about it.  A year ago Monty did
tell me the document would most likely be linked in time for the initial
1.0 release of Ogg/Vorbis, and then he punted to Emmett.  Emmett put it
down to Segher exerting a veto.  And that was that; I moved on to other
projects.  Tagging is still something that a lot of people find useful
to have a standard for; it won't go away.  Whatever the accusations of
dictatorship, the document represents a concensus of what a large number
of people felt they could make do with.

Jonathan

--

    It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
             but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2