[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

Carsten Orthbandt carsten.orthbandt at sek-ost.de
Fri Jul 4 00:27:25 PDT 2003

It's not as easy, though. From a users POV, after installing
a player for Ogg Vorbis, I expect it to register with windows
so it plays Ogg Vorbis streams when I double-click them. Period.
Installing an Ogg Theora play has to register it so it plays
when I double-click Ogg Theora streams. Period. You can't expect
end-users to do anything more complex than launching an installer.
Letting users choose whatever extensions they want is sure recipe
for desaster.
Nobody said you have to stick to three letters. using .oggvorbis
and .oggtheora would be fine. The only problem I can see are
portable devices displaying filenames instead of embedded IDs.

Carsten Orthbandt
Founder + Development Director
SEK SpieleEntwicklungsKombinat GmbH
http://www.sek-ost.de

Wenn ich Visionen habe, gehe ich zum Arzt. - Helmut Schmidt