[vorbis] Vorbis Comment question

Jonathan Walther krooger at debian.org
Thu Jul 3 19:25:14 PDT 2003

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:27:45AM +0100, gtgbr at gmx.net wrote:
>Eww no, I'm totally against that. Especially because I rip my CDs for
>myself, so I can listen to them on the computer (my friends can also
>live with my tags, otherwise they're free to reformat them to *their*
>needs). My own music that I want to spread also gets the tags that I
>want, and not someone else. How could a strict tagging standard satisfy
>me? I'd need several more standard tags. E.g. SAMPLECREDITS,
>SAMPLELICENSE, all kinds of credits-tags, actually, and what not. Do you
>see where this is going? :P It makes no sense to standardize everything.
>Especially when developers for players couldn't care less...

Um, the Ogg Tag Recommendations aren't as strict as you seem to think.
They allow you to omit any tag you don't like, and use any non-standard
tag that you do like.  The recommendations just say "if you use these
few standard tags, this is what other users of the recommendations will
expect them to mean."

http://reactor-core.org/ogg-tag-recommendations.html

Jonathan

--

    It's not true unless it makes you laugh,
             but you don't understand it until it makes you weep.

                     Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   djw at reactor-core.org
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2