[vorbis] using vcut on split ogg files

gtgbr at gmx.net gtgbr at gmx.net
Thu Jul 31 13:26:39 PDT 2003

Carsten Haese wrote:

> > > That's not going to work for various reasons.
> >
> > can you elaborate?
>
> When you split an Ogg Vorbis stream at a random point, the following
> happens:
> * The first half ends unexpectedly without the end-of-stream flag, and
> it ends with a truncated vorbis packet.
> * The second half begins with a corrupted vorbis packet, is header-less,
> and doesn't have any Ogg framing at the beginning.

* Non-existent/wrong checksums of a packet make a player skip this
corrupted part. This is the error detection feature, so unless you're
some kind of wizard that can calculate checksums real easy and hex-edit
those in your mutant .ogg file to prevent data loss, this won't work
well. :)

I believe vcut works only on files and can't slice an Ogg Vorbis stream
as it comes out of a pipe. I suggest making a script that spawns a new
oggenc-ripping session 5-10 seconds or so before killing the other
oggenc. That might be the easiest solution, I think - this script could
run from a cronjob and the only problem I see with this is that the
computer has to be capable of easily encoding two audio streams in
realtime.

I'm not sure why/how this works with MP3, but maybe cronolog simply
supports MP3 and does The Right Thing when necessary...?