[vorbis] Vorbis is not Ogg

Mahieu Brice brice.mahieu at capflow.com
Tue Jul 29 04:45:27 PDT 2003

Hi,

we are currently working on an application that needs audio/video codecs and
multimedia containers.

We evaluated several codec and containers to find the ones that would suit our
project best.

Ogg is one of the container we plan to use.

Our search on www.xiph.org for documentation about Ogg was quite painful, as
ones needs to go through 3 Vorbis pages to find the Ogg specifications.

It has long been a common mistake to use the name Ogg to describe the audio
codec Vorbis. We know that the Ogg/Vorbis developers tried to make the
distinction clear, but we feel that the structure of the website www.xiph.org
confuses the users.

Moreover, searching Google for 'ogg format' gives 'vorbis.com' ( try it at
http://www.google.be/search?q=ogg+format&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=fr&meta= ).

Reorganizing www.xiph.org to separate Ogg and Vorbis/Theora would, in our
opinion, help potential new users to understand what Ogg is about.

Laurent Pinchart
Mahieu Brice

---