[vorbis] Why the commotion about file extensions?

Graham Mitchell graham at grahammitchell.com
Tue Jul 15 20:23:46 PDT 2003

> For audio, it's important to me to distinguish between Vorbis, Flac, and
> Speex in the extension.  I imagine that when there are a bunch of choices
> of video codecs, you'd also want this distinction.  I don't think just
> calling everything .ogg is a good solution.  And TLEs just seem way too
> restrictive.

I agree with you on all counts.  And I think the standard extension will end
up being "whatever oggenc/speexenc/flac/etc" outputs.

So if I go:
        $ flac foo.wav
...and it produces "foo.flac", then that's going to be what 95% of end-users
will use as the extension.

--
Graham Mitchell - computer science teacher, Leander High School
"This quote is umop apisdn."