[vorbis] Why the commotion about file extensions?

Tom Felker tcfelker at mtco.com
Tue Jul 15 18:38:13 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 7:39 pm, Graham Mitchell wrote:
> > .ogm - Anything with video
>
> I don't think the developers will bless *anything* involving ogm.  My
> understanding is that it's an unsupported hack which they merely tolerate
> because it's simpler than actively opposing it.
>
> I'd recommend that you not include the letters "ogm" in anything you
> forward to the developers as a suggestion.
>
> But that's merely my non-official, non-insider feeling.  The truth may
> vary.

Whatever.  I'm don't know much about how video is and will be implemented, so
I was just conceding that to Ed.

For audio, it's important to me to distinguish between Vorbis, Flac, and Speex
in the extension.  I imagine that when there are a bunch of choices of video
codecs, you'd also want this distinction.  I don't think just calling
everything .ogg is a good solution.  And TLEs just seem way too restrictive.

--
Tom Felker

Who's the more foolish... the fool or the fool who follows him?
 -- Obi-Wan