[vorbis] .ogg file extension for both audio and video?

J C Fitzgerald v7022 at wave.co.nz
Mon Jul 14 03:17:56 PDT 2003

> `.ogg` will probably stay the single extension used for Vorbis
> forever, no matter whether we like it or not.  I think we should
> accept it but make different extensions for other Ogg formats.
> I think `.ogt` for Theora would be OK.  `.ogs` for Speex
> and `.ogf` for FLAC would complete the set.  What do you think?

My guess is that many applications will want to handle their target
format(s) whether they appear natively or wrappered.  Therefore, why
not use '.spx', '.flac', etc for both cases and let the application
distinguish whether or not the data is wrapped in Ogg (or some other)
container?

I know this doesn't cater for Oggs containing multiple formats, but
I haven't seen a solution which does cleanly, yet.  I view this case
as analogous to 'tar'; the file is a tar file and tar only knows how
to get the contents out and has no interest in what it (or they) are.
But in tar's case it has a file system to dump the contents into; not
so with decoders necessarily, but the component streams are going to
have to be sent somewhere (if only to an internal decoder, plug-in or
bit bucket).

John