[vorbis] Concerning 'tagging proposal'

Benjamin Weste Pearre bwpearre at alumni.princeton.edu
Sat Jul 5 10:49:16 PDT 2003

> >Cool!  I was going to try to start a flame war demanding the
> >introduction of BWV (he is my favourite composer, after all) and
> >perhaps KOCHEL, DEUTSCH and so forth, but only as a joke!
>
> The standard allows all those tags.

Not as tags.  I use what you suggest (OPUS=BWV244 etc), but it would
have amused me to see the "No more tags" people turn purple at the
very suggestion that there should be BWV=244, DEUTSCHE=957, etc...
(partly for the reasons you gave, and partly because I just can't
think of any way I could use it, since if you have COMPOSER it adds
nothing).  Sorry, but seeing people turn purple is just intrinsically
cool.  :)

> Should we say that the OPUS tag should be alphabetically sortable too?

I doubt it.  It would certainly be useful (I use it for my collection)
but it's probably not worth the headache.  Which of these would you
choose?

K626
K.626
K. 626
Kochel 626
Kochel: 626
KV626
Kv Anh 626 (ok, so 626 is not Anh, but 56 is, for example...)
And I'm assuming that K=k.

Of course, the answer is obvious: the number is all that should be
entered.  But then, of course, there are more than a few composers for
which several numbers apply to each piece.  Are Schubert's German
Dances "OPUS=33" (opus) or "OPUS=783" (deutsche)?

Also, for filesystem sorts, you'd need to zero-pad the numbers: BWV
0244 and such.

You could define all of this, but I suspect it'd be a little too much
like work.

Cheers!

--
Ben Pearre         http://hebb.mit.edu/~ben        PGP ID: CFDA6CDA