[vorbis] Concerning 'tagging proposal'

Nathan I. Sharfi nisharfi at csupomona.edu
Fri Jul 4 15:45:20 PDT 2003

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Kyung-Joon Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It is my opinion that a 'tagging standard' which aims to cater to everyone,
> caters to noone. Tagging style ultimately depend upon tagging tastes; I
> personally think it would be unwise to try to match everybody's tastes.

Agreed. However, some uniformity in taste is nice. The tag proposal is also
a decent opportunity to air out everyone's taste and those pesky corner
cases where one scheme may be simply too simplistic to be able to handle the
metadata that surrounds audio data.

> Now, having a 'tagging proposal' instead of a 'tagging standard,' hardly
> seems worth the effort, to put it mildly. I doubt anyone would want to
> follow it. I, for one, do not wish to follow someone else's proposal when I
> can think of my own best way to do it.

As far as I can tell, it's nice to have a decent set of recommendations out
there that go beyond the rather simplistic stuff that CD databases are
geared for. I've been using COMPOSER since before I heard of Walther's
preferred set, and I will continue to do so even if reactor-core.org rusts
and melts. I also use BWV (something that's used on my Bach partitas CD) as
a tag unto itself, unlike the recommentation, which uses OPUS for the same
purpose.

> I have the tools (mass-tagging, mass-tag-manipulating programs) to
> manipulate the tags just the way I like them, no matter how they're already
> tagged.
>
> I'm satisfied, and I don't think I'll benefit from a tagging proposal.
>
> Kyungjoon Lee

Understandable. If you don't care to fiddle around with tags, don't mind
those of us who do. As far as I can tell for the near future (2-3 years),
the proposal is largely ignorable, if worth reading.

Nathan